Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A couple of days ago, I made an all-plant dinner.  I've been neglecting the plants lately, and I know how important they are, even in the middle of winter, when the selection is less than ideal!  So how to get them in?  Think outside the box!

In my food processor, I put cooked green lentils, fresh parsley and coriander, ground cumin, turmeric, chili powder (fresh would be great too), onion, 3 whole garlic cloves, 2 tsp or so of good-quality olive oil, about 1 cup whole grain breadcrumbs, sea salt and fresh ground pepper.

Then, I formed them into rough patties, and baked on 350F for about 45 minutes, until they were firm and held together well.

Then, I steamed 1 small head of broccoli (so I'd have planned leftovers for lunch the next day), and enough asparagus to have for leftovers too.  I also threw in some whole raw almonds.  I often add nuts when steaming veggies, because they're totally tasty!

When the veggies were cooked, I sprinkled them with a tiny amount of sea salt, and voila!  Totally plant-based dinner!  And you know what?  It was DELISH!!  Hardly any work at all, and two entire meals, plus 3 more lentil patties in the freezer to use another time.  Nothing unhealthy in the least! 

When I had it for lunch the following day at work, I just heated up the container that I'd but everything together in, and it was just as delish as the day before.  I was worried that it wouldn't fill me up, after being at the gym, but it totally did, and it was very satisfying. 

All in all, I probably had 2 or 3 servings of veggies in that dinner, plus a serving of healthy fats from the almonds. 

It does a body good!

No comments:

Post a Comment